Real Estate Law

Land Division Act/Plat Issues

The real estate attorneys at CMDA assist builders, developers, and individual property owners with splitting lots and obtaining municipal approval for the same.  While a lawsuit is not always necessary, certain modifications to plats, such as vacating, correcting, or revising a highway, road, street, or other land dedicated to public use require the filing of a lawsuit in a Michigan Circuit Court.  The Michigan Land Division Act sets forth circumstances in which a court order is required to revise a plat, the necessary parties to the action, and the requirements for fully or partially amending the plat. Upon entry of a final order, MCL 560.227a sets forth the manner in which title to the property will vest after it has been vacated.